Wednesday, January 18, 2017

The last tree on earth...

Here I stand, deeply rooted, strong, impermeable, but alone. They're all gone. Not one stands tall beside me. They're scattered on the ground slowly disintegrating. Because of this, the humans are gone as well. Fools. They got rid of everything that kept them alive without realizing their demise would be the consequence. I saw many fall in front of me, gasping for oxygen, scratching their necks. Begging silently, as there was no air to use their voice. It was comical really. How can you implore for something you consciously dismissed? They're gone. But they brought it upon themselves.

My brothers and sisters did not. I extended my branches to touch theirs one last time, as near ones fell. And my roots elongated to send off those far from me. I stand alone now. And although I should stand tall in pride, I wish my roots would have been ripped as well. My leaves and branches will no longer sway in synchrony with theirs. In fact, they won't sway at all, as the air I produce does not suffice. My leaves will die, and perhaps regrow alone, with no one to witness the beauty. Because I and only I will witness my own death and rebirth cycle after cycle, until earth can hold me no longer, and then and only then will I feel more alive than I do now.

No comments:

Post a Comment